Friday, March 6, 2009

Personal Background

My blog focuses on the influence of international terrorism in western countries. Terrorism is a topic that I have been interested in for a long time. A marking point for me was three years ago when I first heard about the plans of the German government to introduce the so called telecommunications data retention law. I became more interested in it and I got to know more about it. At that time many people in Germany simply did not care about this law that would affect each and every person using a phone, a computer or a fax machine.¹ As I got to know more I also saw how much information was concealed in the media or simply presented wrong about the law. The German government claimed that they had to adopt this law as it was enacted by the European Union but this was misleading. In fact the German law went much further than it was required by the European Union.

This was one of the many laws in Europe that was made to enhance the fight against terrorism. Many people I talked to were not aware of this fact or said that it must be right simply because the government must have a good reason for the law. But as I looked further into the topic I could not find good reasons for many of these laws. An example would be the public call by many politicians for video surveillance everywhere. But how does a surveillance camera help the victims of a terror attack?
Instead of solving the problem of terrorism at the root, many politicians tend to rather work on the surface and come up with laws that are about the symptoms of terrorism. A surveillance camera doesn't prevent a terrorist attack, it just gives the feeling of security.
We can't give up the personal freedom of the individual just because there could be a terroristic attack
-somewhere, somehow at some time.


¹The Directive requires Member States to ensure that communications providers must retain, for a period of between 6 months and 2 years, necessary data as specified in the Directive
  • to trace and identify the source of a communication;
  • to trace and identify the destination of a communication;
  • to identify the date, time and duration of a communication;
  • to identify the type of communication;
  • to identify the communication device;
  • to identify the location of mobile communication equipment.

2 comments:

Xu2 said...

I think you are absolutely right about the surveillance camera, the government has gone way further than the EU requested. However, I disagree with what you said about the application of these cameras. They have some impact on the terrorists, psychologically. For you see, with these cameras, the terrorists can just commit the crime and get away with it. They will have to think more about the consequeses before they set the bomb or anything. Not every terrorist want to be suicide bomb.

vanyuninvala2 said...

The topic about terrorism I think is the hardest amongst all our topics and I'm really thanful to you for chosing it.
This surveillance cameras really make no sense. And all we have left is the video of the terrorist planting the bomb, terrorist leaving the place and everything exploding. I saw many videos like this.
I think what politics should really do is to stop showing terrorist atacks on mass media. It will be a good thing to do I'm 15000% sure.